At Walthamstow Academy we believe that the purpose of homework is to “introduce, practise or extend subject knowledge”. This is to ensure our students are committing knowledge to their long-term memories, are prepared for their exams and are curious learners who enjoy studying beyond the curriculum.
We use Google Classroom to set, track and monitor homework at Walthamstow Academy instead of student planners. Students have their own individual log-ins to Google Classroom so that homework is easy to access and understand.
The amount of homework set each day by the Academy is not rigidly controlled but will approximately be the following:
- Year 7 and 8: 50 to 60 minutes per evening (e.g. 2 x 25-30 minute tasks)
- Year 9 and 10: 70 to 90 minutes per evening (e.g. 2 x 35-45 minute tasks)
- Year 11: 100 to 120 minutes per evening (e.g. 2 x 50-60 minute tasks)
- Year 12 and 13: 2 to 3 hours per school day (including independent study lessons)
- On some days the total may be less than these amounts but total amounts will rarely exceed these levels.
The due date will always be at least two school days after the homework is set to allow students to manage their own time outside school and ask for help if needed.