- News / Current
- Academy Info
- Sixth Form
- Contact Us
WALTHAMSTOW ACADEMY CELEBRATES GCSE RESULTS
Students and staff at Walthamstow Academy are celebrating today after receiving their GCSE results. 59% of students achieved five or more A* to C grades including English and Maths.
Significantly, 72% of all GCSE entries at Walthamstow Academy were graded at A*-C. This is more than three percentage points above the new national average for 2014, which stands at 68.8%.
Amidst the school’s overall success, a number of notable individual performances stood out, including:
· Meryam Benaichouche, who achieved 9 A*s and 3 A grades. Discussing her results, she said:“I don’t know how to explain it well but it feels good, the feeling of relief. It’s like holding your breath for a long time (under water) and, suddenly, you can breathe. It’s an amazing feeling. Well done to everyone and good luck for next year.”
· Ugne Gudelyte, who earned 7 A*s and 3 As and said:“Standing in line to get my results was absolutely nerve-wracking! It was all worth it though – I couldn’t be happier with my results. I’d like to thank all my teachers for their dedication and helping me get where I am today!”
· Molly Cartlidge, who achieved 10 GCSEs including 2 A*s and 5 As. Discussing her results, she said:“I am extremely happy with my results. The past 5 years have been amazing, I have been so blessed to go to this school because I have had the most caring, hardworking teachers and it’s thanks to them that I have got the results I have. I am so proud to say I am a student here and cannot wait to start in the 6th Form in September.”
· Aqsa Bibi, who earned 9 GCSEs including 4 A*s and 4 As and said:“Words cannot describe how I’m feeling right now. I honestly didn’t know what to expect. My grades have allowed me to do the A-levels I want; Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Maths. I cannot thank the teachers enough, without their help I know I wouldn’t have achieved what I did which is why I’m staying next year. Thank you so much Walthamstow Academy.”
· Danny Baalbaki, who earned 10 GCSEs including 6As, said: "Leading up to results day there were many sleepless nights. I couldn't get it out of my head but thanks to Walthamstow Academy they have truly kept me on track both academically and in terms of my music. I am so proud of my results as I am one step closer to becoming the person I hope to be."
Last week the academy also celebrated a very strong set of A Level results – the school’s best ever. The proportion of A Levels and equivalents gaining A* and A grades rose a huge 20 percentage points to 41%, meaning Walthamstow Academy students are set to take up places at universities across the country.
Emma Skae, Principal of Walthamstow Academy, said:
“I would like to congratulate all of our students and staff on their very hard work in achieving these strong GCSE results. They cap a successful year for us in which we also received a very strong Ofsted report and our best ever set of A Levels. As those results demonstrate, our Sixth Form is thriving and I look forward to welcoming many of our Year 11 students back in September to build on Walthamstow Academy’s recent achievements.”
NOTES TO EDITORS:Further information available from Justin McLaren on 020 3006 5872.
WALTHAMSTOW ACADEMY CELBRATES BEST EVER A LEVEL RESULTS
You can see the press release and student quotes by clicking here.
Walthamstow Academy recently underwent an Ofsted Inspection. For the full report, outcomes of the inspections and recommendations please click here.
Walthamstow Academy – Breakfast Club
We now run a Breakfast Club at the Academy. There is a variety of breakfast dishes and drinks available to students at no cost in the dining hall between 07:30 and 08:00.
Entrance will be via the Dining Hall rear doors that can be accessed through the gate to the right of the main entrance to the Academy.
We recognise the importance of students starting their day with a good breakfast and hope that they will consider this service.