Walthamstow Academy and the Governing Body recognises the valuable contribution a wide range of supplementary activities can make towards students all round educational experience and their personal and social development. This may include extra curricula clubs; out of school visits or perhaps going on a residential trip.
Walthamstow Academy and the Governing Body reserves the right to make a charge in the following circumstances for activities organised by the school:
- School trips and residentials in school time: the board and lodging element of the residential experience and outdoor pursuit courses. Any insurance costs associated with trips or activities will be included in these costs;
- Activities outside school hours: the full cost for each student of journeys, trips and overnight stays in the United Kingdom and abroad which take place at weekends and during holidays, which are deemed to be optional extras;
- Materials: the cost of materials or ingredients for design and technology and food technology, if parents have indicated in advance that they wish to own the final product(s);
- Acts of vandalism and negligence: Walthamstow Academy and the Governing Body reserves the right to recover part, or the whole cost, of damage to buildings or equipment which is the result of vandalism or negligence by a student;
- Examination Fees: if a student has not regularly attended the lessons for a particular examination subject, the examination fee may be requested, refundable if the student attends for examination. If, without a medical certificate explaining the reason, a student fails to complete examination requirements for any public examination for which Walthamstow Academy has paid an entry fee, they may seek to recover the fee from the parent. There may be a charge for examination entry where there is a request from the parent for additional subject entries to be made which are not supported by Walthamstow Academy.
Where the parent of a student is in receipt of qualifying state benefit(s), Walthamstow Academy and the Governing Body will remit in part or in full the cost of board and lodging for any residential activity that is organised for the student and which takes place within school time. This will also be the case where the residential activity forms part of the syllabus for a public examination.
In addition, the above consideration will be given to students going on day trips from the Academy.
Walthamstow Academy and the Governing Body may remit charges in part or in full to other parents after considering other specific hardship cases. Walthamstow Academy invites parents to apply, in the strictest confidence, for the remission of charges in part or in full. The Principal or suitably nominated person can authorise remission in consultation with the Chair of Governors.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Review
The Governing Body will review this policy at least every two years and assess its implementation and effectiveness. The policy will be promoted and implemented throughout the academy.