020 8527 3750

Design Technology

“Design technology ignited my creativity and independence” - Shagofa Qhadamzadah - Walthamstow Academy student

“It taught me to become a critical and confident consumer” - Hasan Raja - Walthamstow Academy student


In Design and Technology students combine practical and technological skills with creative thinking to design and make products, and create systems, that meet human needs.  They learn to use current technologies and consider the impact of future technological developments.  They also learn to think creatively and intervene to improve the quality of life, solving problems as individuals and members of a team.

Working in stimulating contexts that provide a range of opportunities and draw on the local ethos, community and wider world, students identify needs and opportunities.  They respond with ideas, products and systems, challenging expectations where appropriate and considering aesthetic, technical, cultural, health, social, emotional, economic, industrial and environmental issues.  As they do so, they evaluate present and past design and technology, and its uses and effects. 

Through design and technology, students develop confidence in using practical skills and become discriminating users of products.  They apply their creative thinking and learn to innovate.

Key Stage 3

Food technology - In year 7 students start to cook using small tools and the hob focusing on health and safety as well as nutrition and shopping skills to build confidence and competence using basic recipes. Building on this, in year 8 recipes and skill demand increases with growing emphasis on quality of outcome. Year 9 sees the emerging independent chef, with growing self-reliance, with focus on individual adaptations. A comparison to shop bought standards is encouraged throughout.


Design technology- In year 7 students learn "The Design Process" through a range of design and make projects such as the Picture Frame, Plastics project, Wooden Puzzle and moving Wooden Snake project, working in a variety of resistant materials and developing their knowledge with a range of  hand tools and materials. Students also develop their technical drawing and promotion skills in the Graphics project. In year 8 students study Design Technology and Graphics. Students learn "The Design Process" through a range of design and make projects such as the Chocolate project, Mechanical toy project, Graphics project and Vase project, working in a variety of resistant materials and further developing their knowledge of computer aided design software packages. Students also develop their technical drawing and design communication skills in year 8. In year 9 students will study a wide range of materials and processes, whilst manufacturing a variety of practical outcomes such as designing and manufacturing a clock. Higher level designing and making skills are developed in most projects, but especially when designing the Storage Unit/ trinket box.

Key Stage 4

During Year 10, students work to develop their product design skills and knowledge by completing a full trail run of their GCSE project. During this project, students have worked on key elements such as task analysis, research and communication skills, along with developing materials and manufacturing process skills and knowledge. This broad based course has been designed to give all students the knowledge, skills and understanding to be able to work independently as we approach the controlled assessment task project.

Throughout Year 11, students following this course work to complete their design and make project which is a controlled assessment coursework task, worth 60% of their final Art & Design 3 Dimensional design GCSE grade. The other 40% is based on the final 10 hour exam. We continue to develop the theory skills and knowledge required in a variety of ways including: engaging in practical work and studying exam based questions.

The DT Team

The design team at Walthamstow academy are highly committed to continually develop schemes and topics which bring out 'the best in everyone’. The department has a strong belief that students learn best through ‘doing’. There is a strong emphasis on practical work underpinned by focused theory lessons and homework.

  • Ms Emma Cooper - Head of ADT
  • Mr Sean Webb - Head of Year 10
©2021 Walthamstow Academy
United Learning

The school is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

Financial Accountability and Freedom of Information
Website Terms, Cookies and Privacy